Grow bean sprouts to get some good vitamins in the winter. You can sprout alfalfa seeds, mung beans, wheat berries, and lentils. Add sprouts to salads or soups or munch on them for a snack.
John Edwards Market in Ellsworth carries these beans.
Here’s what you do:
- put 1/2 cup of beans in a wide mouth quart jar
- add tepid water to an inch over the level of the beans
- let it soak overnight, then drain off the water
- rinse seeds with fresh water and drain again
- for 3 days, rinse & drain off water 2-3 times a day
- when you see white sprouts half an inch long or longer, they’re ready to eat. Yum!