On Saturday, October 28, from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., area residents will have the opportunity to participate in the National Prescription Drug Take Back Day effort sponsored by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). On this day, residents are strongly encouraged to turn in their unused, unwanted or expired medications to one of several drug disposal locations where law enforcement officials will gather and safely dispose of these medications.
Law enforcement officials will collect unwanted medications at the following area sites:
- Milbridge Fire Department – 16 School St, Milbridge
- Gouldsboro Town Office – 59 Main Street, Prospect Harbor
- Winter Harbor Police Department – 20 School Street, Winter Harbor
- Hannaford Supermarket – Outside Parking Lot – Operated by Machias PD, 149 Dublin St
- Washington County Sheriff’s Office – 83 Court Street, Machias
- Ellsworth Police Department – 1 City Hall, Plaza, Ellsworth
Residents are encouraged to take an active role in this drug prevention event to safely dispose unwanted and expired medications. The following items may be dropped off during the event: prescription and over-the-counter medications, medical samples, pet medications, and medicated ointments and lotions. Participants may dispose of their medication in its original container and are strongly encouraged to remove any identifying information from the prescription label.