The cool air of autumn is wafting in my window as we share this recipe with you all – this triggers longings for hearty stews and warm soups that nourish and fill the body and soul. This recipe is an excellent way to utilize a variety of healthy and fresh garden vegetables – and is easily customizable!
TOTAL PREP TIME: about 30 minutes
- 4 stalks celery. diced
- 4 cups onion, sliced
- minced garlic to taste
- approx. 4 lbs of minced summer squash sliced 1/4″ thick – (green or yellow zucchini, patty-pan, crookneck)
- basil to taste
- 1 tsp of chopped hot pepper (can substitute either Tabasco sauce, red hot sauce, Sriracha, or red pepper flakes)
- salt to taste
- Saute celery 5 minutes in oil.
- Add onions and garlic; saute until tender – about 5 minutes.
- Add squash and all remaining ingredients. Combine well.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir well, recover, and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Stir and taste for seasoning and tenderness.
- Simmer uncovered a few more minutes, if needed, to reduce liquid.
- Serve warm or cool overnight and freeze in portions.
- Optional ingredients: chopped tomatoes, fresh corn kernels, green beans, sweet peppers, leftover meats, different herbs.