This free program meets at 9 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Women’s Health Resource Library in Milbridge. Bone Builders is led by the Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) trained and certified volunteers Marion Lafollette and Cathy Farrah. Weights are supplied.
Proper exercise stresses bones. Stimulated by the stress, bone density increases. The RSVP Bone Builders program is based on this bodily response.
- Prevents / Reverses Osteoporosis
- Improves Balance and Strength
- Enhances Energy, Mobility and Well-being
- Provides Information/Education on Health-related Topics
- Offers an Opportunity for Socialization
- It’s FUN and It’s FREE
The exercises used in this program were developed based on research conducted at Tufts University, and are the same at every Bone Builders site around the country. They are intended to help seniors make changes that will truly help keep them safe and healthy, while also ensuring that the program itself does not increase stress or cause pain. Thus, the program starts off very gently and builds gradually as your strength increases. Bone Builders is open to men and women.
To become a Bone Builders participant, you must:
- Be 50 or older
- Be able to commit to attending both sessions each week and maintain at least 75% attendance rate
- Obtain your physician’s approval for the exercise program
- Fill in and sign an informed consent form
Space in the Bone Builders program is limited, but there are currently a few spots available. If you’d like to sign up or learn more, contact one of the program leaders:
- Marion LaFollette: 483-2376
- Cathy Farrah: 546-2582